Income Protection - How To Claim

Don't Panic

If you need to make a claim on your IncomeShield policy we're happy to help get you started by directing you to your insurer.

Please select your master policy number from the options below. This can be found on your policy booklet and your certificate of cover.

To get things underway we'll need you to:

  • Download your claim form below or request one by calling us on 0345 643 7279
  • Complete the claim form and attach any supporting evidence requested. Please ensure you complete all relevant sections to avoid a delay in receiving your first payment
  • Return your completed form and supporting evidence to:

    Paymentshield Claims Team
    Protection Claims
    PO Box 1190
    DN1 9PS

    Please return your completed claim form within 90 days of the date your accident, sickness or unemployment occurred.

If you are unable to work due to an accident or sickness or are made unemployed on or before 31st August 2018 please contact Cardif Pinnacle on 0344 543 1016 to request a claim form.

For any claims where you are unable to work due to an accident or sickness or are made unemployed on or after 1st September 2018, please contact Covea Insurance plc on 0330 134 8586 to start your claim.

Supporting Evidence

You may also be asked for additional information during your claim. You must provide any proof you’re asked for, otherwise your claim may not be paid. This proof could be:

Accident and Sickness claims

  • A certificate from your employer confirming you're not currently working for them
  • Medical evidence in addition to your doctor's initial report, and/or a request to undergoa medical examination with a doctor or consultant appointed by the insurer, who will pay the costs of this additional medical evidence

Your claim won’t be paid if you fail to attend a medical examination and you don’t have a reasonable explanation for not attending.

Unemployment claims

  • Confirmation of your unemployment from the Department for Work and Pensions Jobcentre Plus (or equivalent government department in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or a European Union member state)
  • Or a letter from your last employer confirming you worked for them
  • If you’re self-employed, the insurer will contact your accountant, bank and/or tax office for proof that you have ceased trading

Seeking employment

If you’re ineligible for a Jobseeker’s Agreement, you must be able to provide alternative evidence that you’re unemployed and actively seeking employment.

This could include copies of job applications, invitations to interviews, application responses and registration with employment agencies.

State Benefits

If you, or your partner, receive State Benefit please advise your local benefits agency that you’re claiming under an Income Protection policy, as the amount you receive under your policy may affect your entitlement to State Benefit. Your local benefits agency will be able to provide you with more information.

Need Help?

  • Call our customer services team on 0345 601 1050
  • Monday - Friday
    8am - 7pm
    8am - 1pm