Contents Insurance for tenant's 

Our Tenant's Contents Insurance has been specifically designed to offer protection for those living in rented accommodation. Amongst a whole host of benefits, it offers liability insurance as standard meaning tenants are also protected in the event of any accidental damage to their landlord's property. 

Our Tenant's Contents Insurance is taken out on a rolling subscription basis. This gives tenants flexibility as they aren't tied into an annual contract.

5 Star Defaqto rated

Paymentshield Tenant's Contents Insurance is 5 Star Defaqto rated, meaning it is one of the highest quality offerings in the market providing a high level of features and benefits compared to other, similar insurance products.

Extra peace of mind

Along with 5 Star Defaqto rated insurance, there's an option to also include accidental damage insurance, tenant's legal expenses and worldwide belongings cover for additional peace of mind.

Cherry-picked insurers

We review, compare and work with a carefully selected group of well-known insurers to make sure we can offer a quality Tenant's Contents Insurance policy, all designed to meet the specific needs of those renting a property.

We've got you covered

We check prices across our panel each year to ensure we offer you our best possible price at renewal. We have a dedicated customer services team for help with questions on Tenant's Contents Insurance claims, advice or changes to the policy. Contact us through our webchat, phone or email.

Here's how we can 

Tenant's Contents Insurance is designed to meet and protect the needs of those living in rented accommodation. 

For a summary of the benefits and exclusions please read our Product Information Document.


Tenant's Contents Insurance includes...

  • Accidental damage cover for TVs and audio visual equipment included as standard
  • Cover for life-impacting damage such as water leaks, sewage blockages and more
  • Alternative accommodation for you and any pets living with you 
  • Tenant's liability cover included as standard
Toy robots on shelf

What may not be covered...

As with all insurance policies and optional extras, there are circumstances when cover can't be offered or a claim paid.

For example, where previous insurance has been cancelled, declined, declared void or terms imposed, claims whilst the property has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row, and money or credit cards held in the home for business, trade or professional purposes and any accidental damage caused by pets.

For full details of what's covered and what's not covered please read our Tenant's Contents Insurance Policy Booklet. Alternatively, you can find further information in our Insurance Product Information Document for Tenant's Contents Insurance.

Tenant's Contents Insurance optional extras for added peace of mind

accidental damage

Full accidental damage

By adding accidental damage to the policy, we’ll provide cover for unexpected damage which happens suddenly, such as spilling wine on the sofa or carpet. The maximum you can claim is chosen by you, depending on your cover amount needed.
legal expenses

Tenant's legal expenses

Legal expenses cover can be added to provide legal support to deal with a range of unforeseen circumstances such as being evicted from the property unlawfully, being treated unfairly at work, or in the event of a personal injury.

Worldwide belongings cover

Get covered for accidental damage or loss of belongings such as mobile phones, gadgets, pedal cycles and more. Covered items are protected UK wide, all year round and when travelling anywhere in the world for up to 60 days.

To be eligible to take out our Tenant's Contents Insurance, all we ask is that:

  • You're at least 18 years of age and neither you, nor anyone to be insured under the policy, have any unspent convictions or prosecutions pending (other than motoring convictions) .
  • Neither you, nor anyone to be insured under the policy, have had insurance cancelled declined, voided or had special terms imposed as a result of non-disclosure of information, fraud or misrepresentation. 
  • The property being rented will not be left unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row and won't be used for business or professional purposes.

See our latest insurance tips and guides

Water pipes

What's "escape of water"? Why it happens and how to prevent it

Water is one of the most common reasons for home insurance claims—be it flooding or escape of water. But what’s the difference?

In Insurance tips

The importance of financial advice banner 1

The importance of financial advice when buying home insurance

Selecting the right insurance for your needs is important - here's why seeking financial advice when doing this can be invaluable

In Insurance tips

Insurance lingo banner 1

Home insurance lingo

Get to grips with some of the jargon that's used when discussing your home insurance needs.

In Insurance tips